Sunday, November 20, 2011

Just a Thought

I've decided that there are a couple of things about myself that I'm not going to tell people anymore. After much reflection, I feel like these two pieces of information are not helping me in any way.

1. My age. As soon as people learn that I'm still really young they immediately pass judgement on me. I'm immature. Naive. Silly. Uneducated. Sheltered. There are guys here that won't even take a second look at me after they learn my age just because they assume I'm like every other recent high school graduate girl. It's annoying and wholly unfair. So I've decided that they don't need to know how old I am anymore. They can get to know me and understand my motivations and intellect and then figure out the rest later. Age is only a number anyway; it does not define me.

2. Where I work. I'm tired of people coming to me with the intention of using my awesome discount at my work. I don't mind taking people to movies because I really enjoy them but when guys come to me and say, "Hey, Bri, I really want to see ______," it's almost like they're saying, "Hey, Bri, I don't really care about going out with you, but I want to see this movie for really cheap so I thought I'd ask you to go with me." I'm tired of feeling used for my discount. It's been a really long time since I've gone somewhere else for a date.

So this is it. I'm going to start letting people get to know me, let them form an opinion on their own without giving them those two pieces of information. Maybe things will be different and I'll be taken a little more seriously. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment