Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lions, Tigers, and Politicians; Oh my!

Well, it's that time again. Elections. Oh goodness. I can't wait for them to be over. I swear I've seen thousands of commercials for the candidates and I gotta tell you, I just get more and more ticked off. They say that the public doesn't care about the ads that the candidates explain their own views rather than attack the other but I gotta tell you, right now I'd rather have the former. The attacks that these people are launching at each other are so....unprofessional. It makes me feel like I'm watching a couple of children fight. It's annoying.

I wish it was possible to do away with party classifications, which I know will never happen. The way I see it, so many Americans are hung up on what party someone is affiliated with. People hear such and such is a Republican, a Democrat, or an Independent and they immediately form a bias. If instead, we actually just went off of what someone stood by rather than their party, I think that the people of America would be better off. In my government class we've watched some documentaries about different elections and there are people who are yelling and screaming at each other. The party divisions are so horrible. Why can't people just hold their own opinions yet still be understanding and mature about hearing other peoples' opinions? I know it's hard to set aside your pride and listen but it can be done. I hold very different beliefs and values than many of the other students that go to my school and the other people in this world but I try to treat people as I would want to be treated. No one wants to be yelled at. No one wants to be hated. Yeah, it's hard and no one is perfect but everyone can try to be kind and peaceful when they talk to people who hold different values close.

Politicians are people just like you and me. They have families and lives. They have problems. They're not perfect. They make mistakes (sometimes big, sometimes small). They're human. I may not like what some of them are doing with the power they have been given but I don't want to hate them. It's hard to hate a person when you realize you've never met them, you don't know all the circumstances of a discision or you finally realize that they're human too. For example, when President Obama does something that I feel was really stupid for our country I try to think about what the Bush daughters wrote to the Obama girls that really makes the President seem normal, " He is not a sketch on a paper or part of a skit on TV. Many people will think they know him, but they have no idea what he felt when you were born, the pride he felt on your first day of school, or how much you both love being his daughters. So here is our most important piece of advice: Remember who your dad is." That to me, makes me think of how I would feel if someone I'd never met (thousands of someones) was attacking my dad on a daily basis. I know I wouldn't be okay with that. Would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment