Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pros and Cons

Have you ever had one of those decisions that you just need to make but both choices have such awesome qualities? What's the best way to make up your mind in this case? I have come to really love pro/con lists in just the past few weeks. Even though these lists are really helpful they have made my brain hurt; simply trying to think of enough things to go in both columns is so difficult!

A good friend of mine and I were just talking about our plans for the future (living arrangements, money and where to live for college breaks) and my first suggestion for her was a pro/con list! It's kind of a running joke between the two of us because of the other reasons I make pro/con lists. She makes fun of me because they're usually really stupid things to make lists abouts (boys, clothes, things-I-want-to-buy.) But I still think that it's a very effective way to map out the good and bad things about a choice. For some reason, seeing the qualities written down in black and white (or color) just makes everything so much more final and clear.

Now that my life is really starting to take off and I'm finding myself standing on my own two feet a little more; it's becoming more and more important for me to make my own choices. With that power I need to make choices that will benefit me in the long-run. I don't want to give up what I want most for something that I want in the moment, you know? I tend to over analyze every outcome and agonize over the choice for a few days or weeks or months, depending on the choice. It's not good, making lists makes things so much easier.

If you've never made a real pro/con list; I encourage you to try. It's a little bit of a relief to see the good and the bad, black and white, no gray or middle ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment